Sunday 23 September 2018

Fibre Photo

Honouring a memory in cloth


Transferring  a special photo to cotton provides lots of opportunity to be creative and elevate the photo to "Art".  In this case, I extended the photo on three sides matching my hand dyed fabrics to the tones in the photo.  Then I layered it up with batting and backing and free motion stitched the three layers together mimicking the ocean waves, sky and sand.  And Voila! a sweet little piece created as a gift for a special friend, to remember our time together at the beach. 
Thanks to the woman on the beach who agreed to take our photo and suggested we look out onto the water together!
Its small, around 14" x 10", but I still created a little rod pocket on the back for easy hanging.

6 comments:

  1. Daniela, I LOVE this picture and how you finished the piece! It looks great!
    It looks like you used Bubble Jet Set to first soak the fabric, and then printed it from you computer using your regular printer. Or perhaps you actually printed it in my workshop..... New Photographic Images on Fabric workshop coming up this Fall http://www.colourvie.com/colourvie.com/Workshops.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gunnel. I loved your workshop, and you do a great job making participants welcome and comfortable. Highly recommended!!!

      Delete
  2. Daniela, it is a deceptively simple piece. At first glance nothing, but actually it so much of a something... Very evocative and touching. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to really look and see. really appreciate it. Wish I knew who you are!

      Delete
  3. Stunning piece full of emotions, questions and promises. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betty, really happy that you took the time to really think about what it might mean.

      Delete