Monday 4 February 2013

memories

I feel terribly guilty about not publishing anything for so long.  However, it is not for lack of working.  In fact, because I have been so busy 'making'  I disconnected from my blogging fun.  But, have no fear, I plan to make up for lost cyberspace.

This first piece was created as an installation for a seniors' long term residence here in Toronto. 

MEMORIES

   

Memories, detail

It has been said that "memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose."  Some of our memories are bright, others somber, some clear and others ephemeral and elusive.  In this work, I have tried to capture the notion of memory over time.

Memories, detail

The background is cotton that I immersed in soy wax using a batik process of immersing the cotton in wax, letting it dry and then 'crunching it up'  and immersing it in the black dye.

The layered squares are also all hand dyed including the batting.  (grey colour)  This is my ode to quilting by exposing the inside out!

The thread work was created using solvy. The work is about 6 feet wide and about 4 feet tall, created to snuggly fit into an alcove in the residence.

1 comment:

  1. Daniele, that is a wonderful piece.
    I think about memory a lot, watching my mom grappling with dementia. You've done a beautiful and meaningful piece.

    ReplyDelete