Friday 1 December 2023

Embroidered Figures, revisited

A Walk in the Woods


Back in December of 2020 I posted about my involvement in a critique.  This was an invaluable experience made available to me through SAQA.  Studio Art Quilters Association is an international community that I have been proud to be part of for many years.  They offer endless opportunities for education, exhibition and comradeship in a like-minded, creative community.
At that time the suggestion was that the figures were working but the background had some issues.  I have since gently removed them from the original background (check out my post in 2020 to compare) and now this is their new home.  I took this photo in the Laurentien mountains in Quebec and had it printed on to cotton.

Detail: In this photo you can see the dense embroidery as well as the sky light peaking through the trees.

Detail:  Here I am trying to demonstrate that the figures are popping forward from their background.  They have extra batting to create this effect.
Detail:  Focus on the grass that is embroidered at their feet.



Detail:  a view that is more straight on.


I will leave it with you as to whether the new background is a better home than the old one.  Please let me know what you think!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment