Wednesday 16 December 2020

self portrait


Self Portrait

20 inches wide by 17 inches high including frame




Detail

This work is entirely hand embroidered with chain stitch.  
The embroidery was stitched onto hand dyed cotton.


Second Detail


This work was based on this photograph taken of me, by a very good friend, a very long time ago.  Recently, our paths crossed again, and he gifted me this photo that he had saved all these years. He reminded me that he was an avid amateur photographer at the time, and even did the developing himself.  I do wonder why he kept this photo of me for over 30 years. I have my theories, and you can have yours, but I can suggest that the moment he caught does seem quite intimate.

Although the hand embroidery was extremely time consuming and labour intensive, I do find it is helpful for settling the mind and soothing the spirit.

 

4 comments:

  1. Your work is lively and colorful with a lot of design interest. Your color pallet is happy and cheerful. Thanks. Nancy of IJQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nancy. I love to hear that it gives a feeling of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete