Friday 4 January 2019

connected





This is my latest finished work.  It is 28.5 inches wide and 39.5 inches high.  I have been playing with different titles and currently considering; "Connected with Colour". Also under consideration is "Connection creates Colour". I would love some input. 




This began with a hand-dyed cotton clothe.  Many layers of dye applied all over and then layered with brush.








The figures had been hand-embroidery on another piece of hand-dyed cotton.  When they were completed, the background no longer seemed to work so I cut them out and added them to this piece.  Then I  worked in a bit more colour on the background with paint.  The suggestion of the apple to the right, and created a bit of darkness in the ground.  Eventually I cut off most of the light blue at the top.  It seemed a bit distracting.



 Once the figures were sewn on, everything was layered up, the free motion began.  One of my favorite parts of most projects, I love flying through the cotton with my Bernina on super drive.




Looking at the figures from the angle, you can see that there is a bit of three dimensional effect because of the extra layers behind them.  I did a bit of hand quilting to direct the bump out.  The bums are especially 'juicy'.




The 'end' result

14 comments:

  1. That quilt is absolutely stunning! A beautiful and evocative work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cathy, really appreciate you checking out my blog, love your work as well!

      Delete
  2. Daniela, this has turned out spectacularly well! I know that all the hand stitching on the bodies is even more amazing when you see the piece in person (which I've been lucky enough to do). I think "Connected" says it all. Congratulations on what is a fabulous piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much June, so appreciate your enthusiasm and your steadfast support. Its great to have you in my life!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous, sexy, wonderful piece. i agree that you don't need to use the word "colors" in the title. The connection doesn't feel like it's about colors it's the touch and the comfort of the figures with each other that is so evocative. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Betty, I so appreciate that you can see the emotion and sensuality in the piece, that is not so easily achieved or appreciated.

      Delete
  4. This is fabulous! I think you're overthinking the title. "Connections" says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right about both points Shellie, I appreciate your input. Yes, I overthink most things, and yes, Connections says it all!

      Delete
  5. All I can say is wow. Amazing work. You must be very proud. I love the 3D effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rena, your WOW is high praise and says a lot, and yes, the 3D effect was a welcome surprise...I think because of all the dense stitching, it affected the nature of the fabric and brought it forward.

      Delete
  6. Daniela, wonderful wonderful work! The quilting is stunning! And the colour and the figures, and the hand stitching. Did I say wonderful? As for the title, I like "Connected" as someone suggested, or "Colour Connection"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, wish I knew who you are!

      Delete
  7. These are great! Love all the details in the bums

    ReplyDelete