Wednesday 16 October 2024

Home

 

Home

                                                                            22" x 44"


This project has been a very personal exploration which I picked up and put down over several years.  It began with Adobe Illustrator wherein I gathered together all the places in the world where I have lived.  This compilation of many different maps became my own map, my life journey.



Detail: After the map was printed onto cotton, I layed a layer of batting  behind the surface and began stitching.  Many of the threads I used are irridescent and so 'in person' this piece glimmers while reflecting light.  The stitching became a fairly obsessive meditation on where I have been and what has landed me to where I am now.  I like to think of each stitch as a step on my path.


Detail:  At some point in the making process, a poem, my version of a Haiku, came to me.  Trying to respect the idea of adding words, out came the fabric paint  and on went the Haiku:
Placed
re-placed,
grounded.
Search for Connection,
Exploration is the Home.


Detail:  Where the stitches created circles was where I have spent larger parts or more significant parts of my life.  In this image one can see Toronto.  I added extra batting before I added the backing fabric behind these places and so they come forward towards the viewer.


detail:  Some of my steps led me in circles and some were linear.


Detail:  shot from the side, this image is an effort to illustrate the extra dimension of the places of significance.


Detail:  The map of Lac Notre Dame is of great significance,  This place has been my home away from home since my parents purchased a piece of land there in the 60's.  I covered the lake in white embroidery stitches to indicate its significance.




Detail: view of Lac Notre Dame



I have been working on this piece on and off for many years.  I gave myself time to think about what I wanted to do with it and how I thought these thoughts might be best expressed visually.  It has been a personal journey, but then, aren't all life journeys ultimately very personal?
 We try to grow in a positive way, create a meaningful impact, and leave a helpful trail for those who follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment